Sunday, June 27, 2010

Birthday Gratitude

It's been a while, so hopefully no one's checking the blog anymore and I can noodle about with my writing without much notice. Plus, it's bedtime so I'll make it quick.

This year is our 81st birthday, and mine has already passed with K's coming on Tuesday. This means we held our annual backyard birthday BBQ on Saturday (yesterday), with perfect weather and a traditionally randomized cast of attendees.

I like our BBQ for a number of reasons. It lasts all days so parent and kids can come early, or anyone can stay late. Lots of folks bring food to share, which invariably results in a delightful smorgasbord of tasty food. We've got enough kids that they're mostly self-entertaining. And we get to hang out with a fabulous cross-section of our friends. I was really happy that an old high school friend (reconnected to on Facebook) came by, even as some other regulars couldn't make it for mostly legitimate reasons.

Plus this year I feel particularly grateful - I've described my June as one full of gratitude. May was a tough month: K was bumpily starting up his job search and structuring his downtime while we were all living in anticipation of R's heart surgery. (R, my niece, was born in late January with Tetrology of Fallot - a fancy way of saying "four things wrong with your heart".) The surgery went well, K has settled into a routine of vigorous networking and job interviewing, and I'm approaching my ten years (TEN YEARS) at Robert Half.

The way I figure it, my family is healthy, I have a job, we have a roof over our heads, and our cats are darling (if psychotic). The only things I can winge about are the pounds that refuse to come off, and signs of age (eyesight, vocabulary recall, aches). And that just doesn't seem like much. On the flip side, I am grateful for heart surgery technology, my fabulous family and friends, quiet moments at home, and so many other things.

So I put my love and gratitude out there, take a deep breath, and enjoy the days.

No comments: